27 Jul 2009. Halloween Costume Safety Roundup
Keep these safety tips, from Atlanta pediatrician and mom of two Julie Segal, M.D., in mind whether you're buying or crafting a creepy costume for baby's first Halloween.
* Choose flame-resistant fabric.
* Inspect costumes carefully for choking or strangulation hazards (buttons, rhinestones, strings, antennae) that could come loose.
* Steer clear of itchy fabrics and appliquès that may irritate sensitive baby skin.
* If you're going to be outside after dark, both you and your child should wear bright-colored costumes or add reflective tape to your outfits.
* Finally, skip the face masks; most babies will become annoyed with them. A little nontoxic face paint or a coordinating hat can be just as cute.